Sunday 28 March 2010

Platoon of the Dead (2009)

Dir: John Bowker

I probably shouldn't like this one as much as I did. It's definitely the lowest-budget film I've ever seen. In fact, I'd hesitate to call it a film. It feels more like some guy's home movie. There's some terribly cheap CGI in it and a fair bit of questionable acting from what I can only guess are the director's friends. HOWEVER, what it does have is heart and lots of it. It feels much like the early No Rules straight-to-video splatter gems like the "Video Violence" films or Tim Ritter's serial killer stuff. The story is set in a near-future where the "army" are fighting zombies with toy laser guns (!). A platoon gets ambushed and killed, leaving just three mismatched semi-competent goobers alive. In fear for their lives, they find a house in the woods where a group of women are hiding out from the undead. I won't say any more but the plot gets surprisingly weird from there and has a fair few enjoyable twists and ideas in it. A perfect Sunday morning hangover movie; its unchallenging, freewheelin' approach makes it fun and easy viewing. **1/2

No comments: